Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Burritooooooo!

(Please read the title in Beavis's voice. Kthx.)

I know I haven't blogged in a while, but this is worth it. The lovely Janessa at Epicurious Vegan is having a contest. A burrito contest! This is probably my last chance at scoring a ticket to Vida Vegan Con since I'm lame and didn't grab a ticket before it sold out. Cross your fingers for me!

So, here she is. The Vegan Dessert Burrito.


Yes, really. Warm cinnamon and chili apples wrapped in a cinnamon sugar glazed tortilla, topped with vanilla So Delicious ice cream, drizzled with homemade dulce de leche (HOLY SHIT.) and sprinkled with coconut.

For the dulce de leche, I halved a recipe I found at Innocent Primate, and used So Delicious vanilla coconut milk in place of the hemp milk. I was naughty and didn't stir my sauce as frequently as recommended because I was peeling apples and stuff. It was fine.


Once your sauce is simmering nicely, prepare the apple filling. You will need:
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 c water
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 to 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 3 star anise... pieces? cloves? What are these called?
  • 1/4 c brown sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
Simmer the apple chunks, cinnamon, chili powder and anise in the water on medium heat until apples are fork-tender. Use a slotted spoon to scoop the apples out of the liquid and set aside.


Measure out 1/4 c of the remaining liquid and discard the rest. Mix the 1/4 c liquid, brown sugar, salt and lemon juice and cook over low heat. Stir frequently. Bring it to a simmer, then add apples and remove from heat.

Your apple mixture should be done around the same time as your dulce de leche. When these are ready, it's time to fry up a tortilla. I used some sort of super healthy high-fiber whole wheat tortilla because I'm watching what I eat. Ha.

For the cinnamon sugar tortilla, melt 1/2 tsp Earth Balance in a skillet over medium heat. when it's nice and bubbly, add your tortilla. Cook 1-2 minutes, then flip it. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the glistening tortilla, then remove from heat, flip, and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the other side.

Time to assemble your burrito! Place a few scoops of ice cream down the middle of your tortilla. So Delicious vanilla coconut milk ice cream was perfect for this. Spoon warm apples and their sauce over the ice cream. Roll that baby up and put it on your plate. Drizzle more of the apple syrup over the burrito, like green chili, only awesomer. Plop a scoop of ice cream on top, then drizzle the whole thing with the caramely dulce de leche. I recommend using a lot because it's freaking yummy. Sprinkle with shredded coconut. Now, EAT IT.


I would definitely make one of these again, but I would probably toast the coconut, and I'd want two or three people to share the burrito with me. I only got through about a third of it. Don't think I couldn't easily finish the whole thing myself, of course. I'm just working on practicing that one thing. You know. It's called, um, self-something. Self... control? Yeah! That's the stuff!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amber! Your Vegan Dessert Burritos look absolutely amazing! I am SO going to make them. And I hope you win a ticket to Vida Vegan Con. We would love to meet you there! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW that looks awesome! Now I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stellar submission!

    ReplyDelete